Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Common Ground











Music.  I have only gotten into Christian
music in the past 5-6 years.  Growing up, I was woken up on
Saturday mornings by classical music or one opera or another. (This
always meant "house cleaning time" in the Stenglein household). I used
to dread that.  Now I do actually enjoy both.  The rest of my
childhood and teen years was filled with 80's music yeah...hair band
rockers were cool.  After meeting my



wife
, I
was introduced to Country music (insert story about broken cowboy with
lost love and expired pet here).  I have grown to like it quite a
bit. Growing up I would have NEVER believed that in a million years. 
I now listen to a lot of Christian music. 

David Crowder Band
 
and

Casting Crowns

are really my favs....But one thing that I have found
since getting back in touch with God and church is that a lot of
Christians seem (Read: this is MY perception) to keep only to strictly
Christian music. This kind of troubles me.  I am puzzled as to why
this might be.  There are a LOT of bands outside of the Christian
genre that not only rock but are extremely Christian based.  One
huge example of this is

U2
.  I would challenge anyone to
not hear a message in just about EVERY U2 song.  Another example
would be

Big and Rich
.  Now some of these
songs, especially in the beginnings of their careers can be a bit
tawdry...but their new album is tremendous (shout to J.W. for stealing
his word).  Anyways...I could list on and on: Van Morrison etc
etc...
I bring this whole thing up for a couple of
reasons.  The first, really is that as Christians I feel we should
constantly challenge ourselves to find new avenues on which to spread
the word about God.  Second is I work with the youth and while a
lot of the young men and women I talk with listen to wholesome music, a
lot of them do not. (Not gonna go on a rant about this cause I know how
I was.)  But I guess the main point is this:  In order to talk
to people about God, we need to take a walk outside our box.  We
need to know what others are doing (not just seeing it on the news) in
order to hold some type of common ground.  Music could be something
to run with?

BTW if anyone has some great music suggestions, please let me know!

 

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

I've been thinking about this a lot as well. I listen to mostly 70's and 80's music, and also Christian based music as well. I am not a huge fan of the Christian radio station out here, but our pickings are slim.

I grew up on oldies because of my parents, and even messages in some of those songs are unwholesome.

All of that to say that, I agree with you. We can't put music in a box and judge it's message by it's genre.

Erik Scottberg said...

nice post.

what makes christian music, "christian"? the fact that it's sung by believers? the content of the songs? the fact that it's played on christian radio? the fact that it's awful? (oh wait, that's just my commentary).

the "problem" with music is the fact that it can have a strong influence on us. the key is recognizing that and finding music that has a positive affect. while I don't think that means it has to be christian music, i do think there's a whole lot of junk out there.

crank dat soulja boy.