Friday, February 15, 2008

Senseless shootings at NIU

A week ago, a gunman stormed into a Lane Bryant store and shot six people. yesterday afternoon, a former graduate student from Northern Illinois University in DeKalb,IL killed 7 people that were attending an oceanography class.

I am still stunned by the Virginia Tech shootings less than a year ago.

I am just, I don't know. In shock I guess. My heart and my prayers go out to the families that are affected by this. But really, it affects all of us doesn't it?
It scares me that as much compassion pours from my heart, I can't help but to feel a little bit numb to events like this. What is wrong with me? What is wrong with people?

I spend time with the youth at the Stone Church in Palos Heights.

Whenever tragedies like this occur I feel a true affirmation for my decision to work with the youth.
I would like to think that through programs such as these young adults will come to know God.
I would like to think that through programs such as these young adults will come to be better human beings.
I would like to think that through programs such as these young adults will come to touch others lives in a positive way.

Pastor Erik spoke last Wednesday night about body image. But during his talk he touched on a couple of things that really popped out at me. One is that people that are hurting do terrible things to themselves(eating disorders etc). But the flipside of this is that we sometimes do terrible things to people that are hurting. Is this because we don't recognize the hurt? Or is it because we are in some way hurting ourselves?

In in one sentence, he broke into a concept that I feel is long overdue in the world:
"It is time for you to start a revolution."
He was talking to the students. The youth. Some who will be going to college next year, some starting high school. In a nutshell he was talking about stepping outside their comfort zone and talking with others that they would not normally talk to. To reach out to others that don't know Christ.
Pastor Erik, Amen.

If the youth at Stone Church were to start a ripple, there is no telling where it will end. Embracing your Christianity does not always mean yelling at the top of your lungs about Christ. But it does involve embracing the things that Christ embodies: Love, Acceptance, Grace, Compassion. Live your life, but be strong in your faith and do not be afraid to make the right choice. So many are so quiet in their faith. I am not proposing that you run up to people, grab them by the shoulders and scream "COME TO GOD!!!!" Bring a friend to an event. A small group. Anything. If you nudge one person a week, that's 52 people that now have a seed planted in their hearts.

Let's face it. There was not much NIU police or anyone else could have done to prevent yesterday's horrific events once they were set in motion. But what if this grad student had been part of an organization such as The Crew. Or had a friend that brought him to Church. Things may have been different.

A revolution starts with a ripple. A murmur. A nudge.
Jesus was quite possibly the most perfect revolutionary. Think about that.
Christ paid the ultimate price for us. For me. For you.
He never put a price tag on it. He never really asked us to give anything for that gift.
What can you do to pass this gift along? What are you willing to do to pass this gift along?

We have winter retreat this weekend. It's totally your choice what you do with that.

P. Erik:
That Revolution?

I say: Bring It.

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

i don't think we should wait until May for you to preach...

Katie said...

I agree, there should be no... "where should I start" "When should I start" or "How should I start".... Just Do it! Open your mouth and it will come to you... there are too many people hurting, and every willing person can and will make a difference.