Friday, February 29, 2008

His plan

I find it easy to believe in His plan for me when everything is working like clockwork. There is no stree in my body, there is an easy spring to my step. It is easy to keep a positive mental attitude about everything.

And then a brick crumbles. Something goes wrong. And then another brick crumbles. Something slips away. After a while, His plan is not so clear. I start to get caught up in the day to day. It seems hard to see what is going to happen in the next few hours, let alone the next day. Before I know it, I am running to stand still. Exhausting myself while frantically trying to plug the leaks in the dam that is my day to day. Ummm...what happened? Uhhh..Where did God go? I used to really start to freak out.

I think that even the most devout Christians can watch their resolve crumble away. Am I doing the right thing, am I headed in the right direction. Why do I feel awkward around everyone? Do I fit in here? So many things flying through my head. Panic sets in.

It used to be so easy for me to just let it slip away, convince myself that I just didn't care. I would fold into myself. I would immerse myself in the day to day. I would shut everything else out, shut people out. I would throw myself into whatever I happened to be doing. Those things I was doing would start to define me.

They don't define me anymore. I have a new perspective. I realized: God is still there. He is ALWAYS there. I just needed to take my hands off of my eyes. It is easy to get caught up in the moment. To cover my eyes when life gets hectic. But by trying to hide from the world that keeps on going, I would lose sight of God. In putting my nose to the grindstone, the only thing I could really see was my feet.

When things get rough, I have learned that even if I cannot see the path, I can see the light. Yeah, I might fall down. I might stumble a bit, but I can still see.

I need to keep my eyes on God, which automatically lifts my chin which lifts my eyes which allows me to see.
God's plan is good. His path for me is known to Him. Even if I waver, He does not.
I believe in Jesus, I trust him. That is enough.

You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.
Psalm 73:24 NLT

5 comments:

Monst3rjoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monst3rjoe said...

I strongly agree with what you had to say. Some times things get so ruff it's easy for me to convince myself that God is slipping away. Lately however, I've been so good with keeping a strong grip on God and I mean to keep doing so. It makes me thinks yet again how God always does his part, but we just need to do ours.

Erik Scottberg said...

great thoughts.

sometimes we think God left, when it was really us wandering away in the first place.

Doug Havenford said...

Mike, this blog really just I don't know. Its so true! I'm inspired by this blog to always keep going. So many times I fall and make maybe a simple mistake and I beat myself up over it and lose sight of what the Lord wants to do in my life. Although I REALLY don't know what He wants to do through me, and I just have a strong hunger to get closer to the Lord, I still want to keep my head up and keep seeking Him you know? Its easy for us to just get caught up in whats going on in our life and I believe thats because we all live too fast. We want to go 5 over the speed limit in our cars, we want fast food, our teachers want that homework done the day after they give it to you (haha), but I think thats probably part of the problem. If we all just slow down some wouldn't it just be so much easier to stay focused on God? You're awesome, Mike, I hope you don't feel awkward in the crew because you are family there. And definitely good motivation to me. You've helped me through some problems and I'm grateful =]. Thanks buddy. Keep your head up!

Bethany Patrice said...

one of my favorite passages is proverbs 19:21.."Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Whenever I want to run ahead of God, I remember this passage, and I try to slow down and let Him do the leading.