Monday, May 5, 2008

Between a Tree and the Ocean

Huge Tree
You ever look up at a tree and say to yourself "Woah!" The tend to make you feel small, don't they? I mean think about it. Some trees can span centuries.
I love trees (plz no hugger references ty). Something about them I just can't get enough of. They are majestic, beautiful, awe-inspiring. Hehe. I could go on for a LONG time. Think about the sounds that they make when a breeze runs through them. Peaceful isn't it?
Ocean Horizon
The Ocean. Wow. 70% of our earth is water. Humans are crammed into a small percentage of the leftover 30%. When you gaze out at the horizon over the ocean (that line where the sky touches the water) it seems immense, doesn't it? Fact is that when a person that is 6 feet tall looks at that line...they are only seeing about three miles out...not even 1/4 of 1% of the total ocean. But, although it can be intimidating, it is soothing to me. The sound of the surf. The way that the waves lap at my feet. They way that it magnifies a sunset.
Amazing. Immense. Sort of hard for me to wrap my brain around it. Really both of them...trees and oceans.
I can never think about either one without thinking about God. God is HUGE. Certainly bigger than a tree. Totally bigger than an ocean.
Yet a lot of times, as big as He is, I get the same sense of serenity when I feel close to him. The same peace. To me, His love is like being surrounded by trees and oceans.
But the best thing about it is that His love is almost a tangible thing to me. When I am going through those times where the path is not that steady or clear, or I just feel like I fell down the side of the mountain....I can always remember that feeling, that grace, that light that is there to guide me back. Yes it is MY climb to make, but I know that feeling. I can feel it draw me up and bring me back.


My Zimbio
Add to Technorati Favorites
Furl this page

No comments: