Sunday, June 22, 2008

9.5 Hours

Well, I am here. Tulsa.
It took me 9.5 hours to get here. It would have taken me about 8.5 but I will explain why I was delayed.
The entire day was spent dodging storms. As I passed major parts of the journey (mainly bigger cities) I tweeted. All in all it was a really easy drive. I was excited because I loaded my Zen with a lot of new music. Ya gotta love random all!
I listened to the Cubs win...it was amazing...right after I heard Pat and Ron go nuts the radio cut to static. I will miss WGN radio.
BUT here is the reason for the static: looking out the window this is what I saw
storm saint louis
Storm front saint louis
Yikes.
It was clear as I went through Saint Louis and I did get a pic of the arch:
Saint Louis Arch

Then about 15 miles further along I-44 West...A gust of wind hit the car so hard that I felt the front end push down. It was clear skies and then WHAM! No visibility and I was in a pack of about 15 cars that I couldn't see. It only lasted about 3-4 minutes but it felt like a lifetime till the sun came out.
Everything was fine until I filled up the car's tank for the first time about 50 miles north of Springfield, MO.

While in the gas station I heard that familiar BEEP BEEP BEEP...the National Weather Service has issued.....YIKES...65 mile an hour winds, quarter size hail and severe thunderstorms were on there way to exactly where I was in 15 minutes.
I stayed out of it for the most part but here is what I was racing:

Storm Springfield, MO

Storm Springfield,MO
Anyways....I pulled into the parking lot at my destination and as I was getting out of the car this was my view:

Sunset Tulsa,OK

I kinda felt that God was smiling down on me. I had made it. I was tired and sore and actually a bit lonely and I felt like this was his pat on my shoulder saying it's gonna be OK.

So I am here:
Holiday Inn Express Tulsa

This is home for a week. I checked out The Assembly at Broken Arrow this morning. It was nice but a bit overwhelmingly huge. I will blog about it more later...
on to homework.
Hello to everyone up north! :-)

2 comments:

Katie said...

I am glad you made it safe... the fact that you were twittering and taking pictures while driving [in storms] forces me to give you a STERN look >;| . But most importnatly I am glad you are safe and I miss you.

mlbn1873 said...

Mike: Let me be the first to welcome you to Tulsa. it's a beautiful city. I am the minister vat Lord of Life Church in Broken Arrow. A spirit filled Lutheran church plant. Whatever you are doing here in our city I pray you will be blessed!

Jonathan Schultz
Lead Servant
jschultz@lordoflifeba.org
or
jdsmlbna@yahoo.com

www.lordoflifeba.org