Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Lists

I am not much of a "list" guy. I usually just log stuff in my head and then bull through any work that I have. The problem is that when things get really hectic, things slip through cracks.
Lately, my life feels like it is going a million miles a minute. In the mornings, I usually try to spend a few minutes to pray. The past few mornings I have rushed out of the house without doing so.

My solution? Crank up the radio (this week it has been Shine.fm), and sing a bit.
Now, those of you who have had the honor of being in front/around me during worship know how great of a singer I am. :-P Actually, I am awful. I usually only sing or play an instrument when I want to offend someone (aside from worship, I think Jesus will forgive me my tone deaf warblings).
BUT, since I have been performing these impromptu concerts in my car (I can't damage anyone's ears except my own in there) I have felt a bit lighter of heart.

I don't know if it is because of the singing. I think maybe it is because of the fact that it is not forced or scheduled. Now don't get me wrong, worship/praying/praising Jesus should never be forced, but sometimes I feel wrong in only alloting "specific" time for God. Again, please don't misunderstand. I am just saying that in MY busy life, I sometimes feel as if after my morning prayer, I leave it there till I get ready for bed that night and close with a prayer.

In between 4am and 11pm when I go to bed, my day is filled with "Please God help me to..." or "Lord please give me the strength to..." or "Lord, help me to get through this..." Then there are the "Thank you God for..." and the really big "THANK YOU JESUS FOR HELPING ME..." that are sprinkled in there. I know that God is there for those requests. I know that we are supposed to give our worries to Jesus. Sometimes however, I just feel bad for doing it. I sometimes think that I should be doing more for Him. More thank yous than requests.

There is something about spontaneous praise of God that just feels right. Taking a moment like this morning, as the sun comes up over the horizon with gorgeous pinks, blues and yellows and really taking a step beack to think about the awesomeness that I was witnessing. Being able to thank God, when I get stressed at work that I have a job.
How bad does one feel when you say "Awww NUTS!!! I forgot to pray!" I am finding, as everyday I grow closer to Him, He is more in the front of my mind and praise just becomes my first reaction. Well, not "re" action. More of just the first action.

As busy as my life gets, I am finding that by building a "habit" of praise, things seem easier, lighter, and more managable. In "giving it all to Jesus" I have to remember that that means everything, not just my worries, but my thanks and praise as well.

3 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

Sometimes when I go to pray, I wake up 8 hours later and it's morning.

I have found that "unscheduled" praise has had a profound impact on my life, and I know God's is getting blessed by my praise, and it lifts my spirits as well.

Monst3rjoe said...

I don't think you're that bad of a singer, but then again, I've never heard you sing ^___^

Monst3rjoe said...

I don't think you're that bad of a singer, but then again, I've never heard you sing ^___^