Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You Can't Always Get What You Want....

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

I was going to start this blog with a picture of a wasp and a fiddleback because that is what kicked this whole thought off, but lacking the courage to dig through the garbage, and not finding what I wanted on the Net...I settle for the Stones.
As we cleansed the garage the other day, I found a Fiddleback and a wasp tangled together...dead. Fiddlebacks are notorious for preying on dead or dying insects.

My thought about this was that the spider came upon a dying wasp and thought it had scored an easy meal...Not so. The wasp's stinger had impaled the spider, killing it as it itself died.

I guess that it made me think about stuff. How far we as human beings strive for things that we "need" or "want". We push ourselves to excel. Get the next promotion, house, car . We all do it in some form or other and to some degree or other. It happens. Sometimes it is no big deal. Sometimes...well, I know one IT guy that almost broke a marriage because of it 5 or 6 years ago. In essence we work ourselves to the bone in order to amass stuff.....and we aren't getting any more time to use it.

What if we took this intensity, this passion for getting ahead and focused our sights for Jesus? What great things could we all accomplish if as a single body we pushed forward for Christ? Forget about "my church" or "their church" for a second. Can you picture it? How amazing it would be.

When we tackle the world, we need to be sure that we have God to guide us otherwise we end up running for the wrong end zone.
-Anonymous

No comments: