Monday, March 17, 2008

Failure

Sometimes we need to step out. I think that a lot of times, I find myself praying for God to help me to do this thing or that.
What is stopping me (you, everybody) from stepping out of our box? A lot of times we wait until the timing is perfect to step out of our box.
The truth is that the timing will never be "perfect". Let's wait until the tide is out, the moon is full, the wind is just right....JUMP NOW. What's to say that we would make the jump anyways?
I think that the one thing that stops us from stepping out of our boxes is the fear of failure. As humans, we are afraid to fail. It's part of our nature. I think that as humans it is part of our nature TO fail. It is part of how we learn.
And that is okay. Guess what. We are not perfect!
Newsflash!
This is not saying that we are GOING to fail everytime...just that the possibility is there. Does that mean we shouldn't try?
No.
It means that we should accept the possiblility. And knowing that possibility, go for it. We fall down so that we can learn to get back up. (props to anyone who knows what movie this reference is from)

I think that one of the things that failure brings us is conviction. If we know that something is possible yet we fail in an attempt to attain our goal, we become more determined.
You get back on the horse and try again.
Riding a bike...it may take us a hundred times to actually do it without our dad holding on to the seat. But once we do it, we don't forget.
Isn't it the same with just about anything?

If we work at "unlearning" a bad habit. Or learning a good one. Oops. I messed up. That's OKAY. Get back up, dust yourself off and get back on the bike.
Yes, we get cut and bruised, and discouraged. We get discouraged. And that stinks. But how bad do you want it? How determined are you? How convicted? How dedicated?
What things does this apply to for you? What relationships?
I can think of several for myself.

So MY question to myself...and you is:

“What would you do if you knew you could not fail?”

Robert H. Schuller

Can we really ever triumph over something if we haven't lost before?

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Erik Scottberg said...

good thoughts.

i think some of this has to do with "movement". it's taking action and not sitting back waiting for life to go by. it's having the faith to step out and not be held back in fear.