Thursday, March 6, 2008

Is it mean to be mean to a rude person?

Okay.
I am normally a very polite person. I am usually a pretty calm, collected guy.
But, this morning I lost it.
I stopped for gas and right after I walked in to pay, two people headed for the same door. One going in and one walking out. The person walking out of the gas station had a HUGE cup of coffee in both hands. The guy walking in seemed to be oblivious to anything around him, but you could tell he was in a hurry.

So they reached the door at the same time (the "out" door was blocked by a newspaper stand and the "in door opened inwards). Now the door happened to open inwards, and seeing as the person going out had their hands full, he was having trouble opening the door, their hand was REACHING for the handle. The guy coming in SHOVED the door open.
Coffee explodes all over the place and the person going out screamed. They were covered. The guy coming in didn't get a drop on him and just proceeded up to the counter like nothing happened even though he slipped on the pool of coffee that was on the floor.

My first reaction to this whole thing was to ask the person with searing hot coffee all over them if they were okay. They imparted that they were. So, I turned my attention to the other guy.
Some words were exchanged (I will NOT repeat them here). I basically asked him if he was blind, as anyone with two eyes could see THROUGH the door that there was someone on the otherside.
I also asked him if he was socially inept, as anyone could clearly see that he had just caused another person harm.
Again, I am NOT proud of the words that I said. They were NOT even remotely the christian thing to say. But I got angry. Extremely angry. (pretty rare thing for me).

The "person" going out the door was a woman.
She looked to be about 70 years old.

I know that he will probably never read this, but coffee spiller guy, if you do read this, I apologize for being rude. But honestly, being rude was the nicest thing that I could do because it took all of my strength to keep it at that.

I feel sorry for coffee spiller guy. He just doesn't understand.

One more reason that I feel working with the youth is one of the most important things anyone can do.

Maybe, if someone had taken the time to help him make the right decisions, to help guide him when he was younger, this would never have happened.
Maybe if someone had helped him to know Jesus, he would be looking at the world with different eyes.
My hands are still shaking and this happened about two hours ago.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Isn't it ridiculous? These are the exact kinds of things that ruin my mood. Why do people have to be so self absorbed that they are outwardly RUDE to strangers and show no remorse? I don't get it? Your hear my stories all the time.... Sometimes it makes you not want to go out in public!

Bethany Patrice said...

people are rude...but I always think that people who have been hurt, hurt other people (I watch too much Dr. Phil). I wonder what events occurred in this person's life to make them so unaware of people around them. I'd like to have a nice conversation with the offender and see what makes him tick.

Erik Scottberg said...

did you let your fists do the talking?

Samantha said...

Dang it, Jim! How many times have I told you to respect your elders? Ugh, don't worry, Mike, I'll talk to him about it.

Doug Havenford said...

Yeah thats really crazy man. I mean, I've been hurt in the past, probably nowhere near as bad as some people have, but honestly, being hurt is no excuse to take it out on other people. I can understand if he wasn't really paying attention and spilled the coffee all over her on accident and then turned around and helped the lady, asked her if she was alright, and helped clean it up or something, but thats just ridiculous. He could have at least asked her if she was alright even if he was in a hurry to get gas or whatever he was doing. Its okay Mike, I find it cool that you stuck up for what you thought was right. Maybe you didn't say the most Christian things, but it at least shows that you have a kind heart that you cared about the old lady.

Monst3rjoe said...

That's sad. People... That guy must have been having the worst day of his life, and if he wasn't may God help him.