Friday, March 28, 2008

What would you do? (continued)

If I had a billion dollars (isn't there a song that starts like that?)
I would like to say that I would give almost all of it away...But I wouldn't.
If I were given 1 billion dollars, free and clear, here is a list of what I would do.
1. I would tithe (and then some).
2. I would set up a foundation fund (more about this later)
3. I would make sure that I took care of all of my family's needs (both sides).
4 I would start a natioin wide youth foundation.

The foundation fund would be for charitable causes. I figure that I do not need much to live on. Say that I tithed just 10%...that would be $100,000,000. So (not figuring the govie's take) that would leave $900,000,000. Then take out what if would take to set up my family including me($100,000,000? being over generous). That leaves $800,000,000. I would take that and invest it in a low level interest bearing account. Let's say that account returns 3% annually. That would be, what $240,000,000 per year? That would allow me to allocate money to charities across the world.

Now, money does not make the world go around, BUT it does grease the gears a bit. fact of the matter is that I am content with what I have (I think that I would be okay with less). Honestly, the things that are important in life can't be bought. And things that were important that were lost, money cannot bring back.

All in all, if I were blessed with that kind of monetary gift, I would like to think that I used it to further everything that is good in the world....If the best way to do that was to give it all away, I would.
In less than a heartbeat.
Believe it.

Add to Technorati Favorites
Furl this page

1 comment:

Bethany Patrice said...

wow...you have certainly given this a lot of thought.

Here is my list..

1) of course I'd give my tithe and then some...


2)I'd pay off all of my parent's debt, and buy them a bed and breakfast to run.

3) I'd pay off our home, and school debt.

4) I'd open up a Russian Orphanage

5)I'd buy Wrigley Field and leave the name alone!!!